proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Hello my son who is 9 in january loses his temper when he

Hello
my son who is 9 in january loses his temper when he doesn't get his own way. He starts to scream if he is playing a team sport and he feels he is starting to lose. he either yells and wants to change the rules or stops playing and throws things around in a huff and calls everyone mean etc. He is unable to participate in team sport activities always needs to be first and win.
He negotiates everything, when it is homework time he negotaites for different start time etc. This behaviour is getting difficult as he is now losing friends and creating tension in the family with his brother.
I need help
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your son. Are both parents in the home? How old is his brother? Have there been any major life changes for your son? Does he do well in school. How is his ability to focus? Have you discussed the issue with his pediatrician?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both parents are in the home.
His brother is almost 7 (dec)
No major life change
School - could do better, test to be gifted with learning difficulties
Focus - could do better (has good days/bad days)
Have discussed issue with psychologists who have tested him
He is a mystery to all of us, he is bright bubbly caring and on the other hand he is temperamental, highly sensitive and emotional. His extreme reactions to almost everything and his need to be "in charge" is affecting his emotional social and intellectual life. We are concerned!
Has anyone ever mentioned that he may be high functioning autistic? Usually children like that have difficulty in social settings but are also very intelligent. He needs to be taught the proper ways to respond. The yelling and screaming is his way of dealing with frustration which is common in autistic children.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has been tested for autism, ADHD and he does not fit in the spectrum. This is why we are at a loss.
Who did the testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Educational psychologist and a
Psychiatrist
For now, your best bet would be to get him into some type of group counseling class where there is a focus on feelings management. He needs to learn intervention and coping strategies and how to act and react in social situations. He must be explicitly taught. He also may have ODD: Oppositional Defiance Disorder.
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor