proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Hi.Im mummy of 20 months old Willow.Our situation looks like

Customer Question

Hi.I'm mummy of 20 months old Willow.Our situation looks like that: I'm divorcing her dad at the minute ,he did left us when Willow was 10 months old.We did had to move house (lived at my sisters with her familly for 3 months) then we rent a house and we live on our own.I do also work 4 h per day and during this time after Willow looks my es Mother.My ex is seing Willow 3 days per week after work athis mums.Since our familly felt apart Willow's behaviur cheanged as well,she is sleeping bad (waking up at night time few times),she is more stresed,she is hitting people with things or just her hand(mostly ladies),she do not like strengers.I'm wonder if her accting got anything to do with wot happend,and if yes whot i can do about it .Please help.
Nina
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and so sorry for the delay in responding. Willow is acting out due to the lack of consistency in her life right now. She is being tossed around from one person to the next to take care of her. She probably has a great deal of anxiety because she is not sure from day to day who she be cared by. She wants you right now and needs you right now and needs you the most. If she has experienced or seen lots of yelling due to the divorce, that can be attributing to her negative behavior as well.

What you can do is to shower her with lots of love and positivity. Hopefully your soon to be ex is doing the same thing as well. Hug her a lot. Comfort her when she has trouble at night. She may need to sleep in the same room with you or even in the same bed. When she hits, tell her NO in a stern voice but then gently take her hand and tell her that "We have nice hands." and then hold her hand gently. Your daughter is frustrated, anxious, and probably somewhat apprehensive. Since she cannot verbally express her feelings, she acts out. You must really comfort her during this stressful time for everyone.

Have a great weekend!