proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

i am a step dad of an 13 year old boy that uses excuses like

Customer Question

i am a step dad of an 13 year old boy that uses excuses like i for got, our you didnt tell me ,when i know i have
he is failing in school and has a conest attude towards me. He maniputates the we are haveing and gets me and my wife fighting about him
i am at wits end any ideas
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are experiencing with your step son. A 13 year boy will often become very disrespectful and act as if they know everything and will rarely admit that he is wrong. Obviously, your step son is angry and frustrated about some issues in his life but he needs to open up about them so that there will be harmony in the house. Your consequences for his disobedient behavior are fine. When he behaves, that should be a way to earn his lost privileges and material things back. Additionally, you may want to have your step son meet with a counselor or psychologist at school. He/she can handle and discuss the academic issues as well as the pressures of school life that your step son may be facing. Furthermore, you may want to seek a referral from your step son 's pediatrician for an excellent counselor/psychologist and you, your wife, and your step son could attend several sessions of family counseling. You can have individual sessions as well. You need to learn intervention and coping strategies in dealing with a manipulative teenager especially to decrease the disagreements between you and your wife. Your step son may also feel more comfortable discussing issues with a neutral third party. It is definitely worth the time and effort.