Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

how should i handle my 8 year old son who got sent to the principles

how should i handle my 8 year old son who got sent to the principle's office for drawing a penis and writing sexual comments?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

Don't be upset with him. He is just a little boy, responding to things that were somehow put into his consciousness. They probably didn't come from home, so they must have come from school. The principal should run a tighter ship, but don't tell him that. Merely tell your son that it is not appropriate and gets some teachers upset if they see that kind of material.

Tell him it is not bad, and not dirty, just not acceptable. Tell him it is best to not get on the wrong side of the teachers and keep it away from the adults (unless he learned this in sex education class, for which the principal is then responsible for putting this imagery into your son's head.)

He is growing up and learning about sex like all little boys (and girls) do - from their peers. His is normal. Just mention it to him, and don't make a big deal about it, and if his dad will not handle it well, then don['t tell his dad.

You don't want to make a traumatic incident out of this very insignificant event. Just because the principal has gotten himself into a twist, doesn't mean that you need to pass that foolish over-reaction on to your precious son.

Mention it, and then let the fun homelife carry through the rest of the day.

Warm regards. Make sure to give him lots of hugs to make up for whatever negativity he got from the principal and other teachers.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.