Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

My son is 15, we just moved from Idaho to Colorado (corporate

Customer Question

My son is 15, we just moved from Idaho to Colorado (corporate transfer.) Last year he lost 110 lbs, going from a weight of 290 to 180. He started doing mixed martial arts last year and is very talented. However, he trains 20-25 hours a week, plus doing school PE. He eats well and stays at a stable weight, but any suggestions that he cut down and pursue making friends at his new high school are cut down. He gets good grades, and is much easier to live with now than he was last year. But he only gets one shot at high school, and I'm concerned he's missing out.

Also--occasionally MMA fighters come to his gym, the last one was really rough and wouldn't let him up even though he tapped 5 times (that's the signal.) He almost got a dislocated shoulder. I told my husband that if it happened again, I wanted to talk to the gym owners and tell them to make a choice. My husband thinks I'm interfering. I think I need to protect him, just like you'd protect a kid from playing in traffic. We both love our son and want the best for him. I think if the gym owners don't hold their members accountable, they don't deserve to have our son as a member.

Thanks for any help or feedback you can give.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank you for using Just Answer. I sense a few concerns:

Do you want your son to be more sociable?
Do you want your son to find another gym?
Does your son have friends at his current gym?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when the gym is not in session, my son is very lonesome for his friends back in Boise.
I really like his current gym, but get nervous when I hear stories from him about people not following the rules. It is far too easy to get hurt--even permanently damaged--in this very physical sport.
yes, he has some good friends, but except for two very busy teens, the rest are all grown up.
Your son does need a social life as a teen age boy. He will become increasingly lonesome and possibly depressed. Are there any gyms nearby that consist more of boys his own age? Does he really seem happy at the current gym? Have you asked him about changing gyms? Are there any clubs or organizations that he can be on at school? Does he have any other interests outside of the gym? Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your advice, I am sorry that I do not find it useful in this situation. Therefore I will not accept your answer.
I did not provide an answer...only an info request. I will open the question to other experts.