How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do we offer help for my nephew/husbands sisters son),

Resolved Question:

How do we offer help for my nephew/husband's sister's son), age 15, who is using marijuana, going to concerts without permission? Both his parents work and try to keep involved, in ROTC( lasted one year) Boy Scouts (lasted 2 years). His mom began full time as a grade school teach 2 years ago, older sisters who are 6 and 8 years older have moved on to college, left the house within a week of each other a couple of years ago. A few months later I heard the nephew told a girlfriend he was depressed/ possibly suicidal.

For a support network, his dad and mom have taken him to after school football practice, to the desert for off road vehicle racing, seem loving. Grand father and grand mother on mom's side are two miles away, my husband and I have been gradually moving to northern California the past couple of years. We all like to meet for occasions, but we are 10 years older than his sister and brother-in -law to do much together.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. What is most concerning is the mention of suicide. That should never be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly. Too many of our youth are taking their own lives without the much needed interventions. Your nephew's parents may want to seek emotional counseling for him. If he has a serious substance abuse problem, then they need to seek substance abuse intervention assistance. He may feel a great deal of stress from school, having a girlfriend and the desires that come with being in a relationship, the pressures of performing well on the football team, etc. Your nephew's parents must take a closer look at the situations and enforce rules with stricter consequences as a first step. Counseling, individual and/or family, would be the next route.

Have a good day.
proexpert37 and 3 other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a closer look and enforcing rules, then emotional counseling seems tobe a more useful route than my husband's suggestion for drug intervention now. I also heard the suicidal issue has become diluted, may not have occurred.

Related Parenting Questions