proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My 3 yr. old grandson who lives with his singlemom, his aunt

My 3 yr. old grandson who lives with his singlemom, his aunt and myself, his grandmother. He does not see his dad ever but has plenty of love and attention from all of us and his other aunts and uncles. He has just started daycare about 7 weeks ago. He was o.k. in the beginning other than some listening issues. Now he has started throwing things, kicking, spitting and still not listening. He is a very lovable little boy and we do give him timeout at home. I guess he is somewhat spoiled but you can never love children enough. My daughter was just called to the daycare, do you have any suggestions?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Is your grandson's behavior at home fine? Is he allowed to do whatever he pleases at home? Is he an only child?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cole is an only child. He does not listen at home as much as he should. He likes to push and test us. Sometimes he is so good you would never know he ever misbehaves.
Hello and Thank You for responding. It will take a little more time for your son to become accustomed to the rules of his new school. By January, he should be able to follow the rules. Unfortunately, children in pre school often imitate other children's behaviors because they are observational learners. He has picked up bad habits. Your grandson must be told how to behave at school and what is inappropriate and unacceptable. Create a sticker chart for him.. When he has a great day at school, he gets a sticker. When he misbehaves, he gets nothing but a stern reminder how to behave. After receiving 10 stickers, and not necessarily on consecutive days, he receives a special treat or outing. The goal is to pay more attention to the positive behavior. When he has a great day, REALLY praise him. This should help. Also, your daughter or you can visit the school on different occasions to see specifically what is going on.

Have a great day.