proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My daughter 16 has suddenly rebelled. As soon as she turned

Customer Question

My daughter 16 has suddenly rebelled. As soon as she turned 16 she asked to go out with a boy, 17 who has left school. Now she wants to see him all the time. He is a nice kid but i think they are both a bit immature and want them to take it easy. I want my daughter to do 2 more yrs to finish school. Should she be on the pill? She has 4 older sisters that are all responsible young women. She will not believe that i have her interests at heart, and now brands me as her enemy. HELP.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems with your daughter. If she has already expressed an interest in having sex, then the further you push her away from it, then the more she will rebel. I am not advocating sex before marriage because it is a personal individual decision. But before you put her on birth control, have her talk to a counselor for a few sessions. Seek a referral from her pediatrician. Your daughter is probably under a great deal of peer pressure from her friends and from this new guy to have sex which just may not be the wisest route to take. This young boy is obviously not a good influence on your daughter since he left school. Additionally, monitor her Internet use. Put the computer in a place where it is more visible like the kitchen. Also, there are computer programs that can track every site with the times that your daughter visits. It may feel like it is the end of the world because you are so frustrated with your daughter now. Just continue to love and support her. She is caught in the middle of being a teen ager and soon being an adult. She is still a child but wants to make adult decisions that she may not be ready to handle.

Have a great day.