Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

My son has recently turned 18 and has started working away

Customer Question

My son has recently turned 18 and has started working away from home. He spends most of his spare time drinking alcohol or on the internet. He seems to have low self esteem, for example coming home and not bothering to wash or cook for himself but sitting drinking. Although he is 18 he takes very little interest in his appearance. How can I raise his self esteem? I am very worried about him.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems of your son. Are both parents in the home? Has he always had low self esteem? Does he have many friends? Does he many outside interests? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello and thank you for your reply. Yes both parents are at home. He previously had a difficult relationship with his father as he always seemed to expect more of him at school etc. However they have a better relationship now. He has some friends but some of them have girlfriends now or are away in college so he can be at a loose end for example if he has a week off work. He is in a local brass band and is interested in films,xbox, facebook and so on.
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Is your son receptive when you try to talk to him about anything or is he rather reserved?