proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I have a 5 year old in Kindergarten, everyday I pick him up

I have a 5 year old in Kindergarten, everyday I pick him up from Daycare I can smell that he has pooped his pants. He knows how to go to the bathroom but seems he gets to busy/distracted at school to go. He also tells me when he asks at certain times his teacher says no. I have been trying to have talks with him to explain that in that case he needs to hold it. For the past week I have been taking away his favorite toys when I pick him up to find he has pooped them again. Problem is, he doesnt care at all and keeps doing it. I dont know what I can do to help, hes an extremely bright kid and we need to successfully get over this hump. This happens EVERYDAY
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. First of all, you need to have a discussion with the teacher. She should allow a five year old to use the bathroom when he needs to. Now, he is probably afraid to even ask and it becomes increasingly difficult to hold poop in and it will gradually seep out. That is your first step. See how often he is asking to go to the bathroom. Punishing him at home will not help. The issue is at school. Sometimes kids do not like to use school bathrooms because of the lack of privacy or the uncleanliness of the restrooms. Check into that issue as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do that as well, but he also does it on weekends with me. If we are in the car, all of the sudden I smell it and he admits to it, I have told him time and time again I can stop the car at anytime to find a bathroom but it doesnt seem to phase him.
Have you had a discussion with his pediatrician?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't, I supposed its because I dont think its a medical condition and not sure what help he could give me
A pediatrician will evaluate his diet. Also, he may have a condition called Encopresis in which the bowel movements just seep out after he has held it in for so long. Punishment will only make matters continue to be worse. I went through the same thing with my son from about five years old to eight. I was upset about soiled underwear but started leaving the issue alone and he finally came around as he matured.
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor