Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

I need some strategies for discipline / reward systems that

I need some strategies for discipline / reward systems that work. My kids are very good and well behaved, but my 12 year old tends not to listen and acts "goofy" and my 8 year old can be very, very whiney. I just need something consistent that works. Punishments don't seem to matter much to them!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Do you want a behavior management plan for just at home or would you like to incorporate school as well? Thank you!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just something for at home.
Another expert will assist you. I am having Internet problems.
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

I would highly recommend a strategy called Token Economy for all of your children. Let me explain briefly but then I will also refer you to a website . There are many different variations and it is best to change it here and there to keep the children's interest.

It has 2 phases: Phase one: children receive reward for good behavior;
Phase two: children receive reward for good behavior BUT pay a fine for breaking the rules;

So first you need to develop a rule list (similar to the list they have at school but adapt to home): for example: keep hands and feet to yourself; Accept no for an answer; You need to decide on the list, of course, but keep it very simple, concrete and clear. (Be good: is too vague). Money in a jar usually works best. Reward at end of day if all rules met. You want them to experience the feeling of success at first so make it realistic.

Once the idea is in place and up and running, introduce the concept of paying a fine. SO reward at bedtime if met all rules but pay a fine if any rule broken. Once again you want them to feel good about their jar of money so the fines do not need to be TOO large.

Here is a website:

http://www.rewardingkids.com/tools-to-change-behavior/token-economy/

But you can find many more websites by using key words token economy.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience: and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.