proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My husband has a 5 1/2 year old boy who we have 50/50 custoday.

He has been having problems during free-time at school.
ex. recess, lunch, after school program

He has been physical with other children, and he needs constant attention. Constantly talking and making noises. Sometimes he pretends he's a cat, and really takes it too far. The cat things seems to happen when he's nervous.

What could be done to help in our house and his biological mother's?

Optional Information:
Gender: Male
Age: 5 1/2

Already Tried:
doctor time out method take toys/treats away making a set of rules for both houses same bed time, consistent schedule at our house his biological mother spanks him
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that your son is having. What you and his teachers need to do is to implement behavior modification. You need to focus more on the positive behavior to eliminate the negative. With the assistance of your son's teacher who should be familiar with this, a behavior chart needs to be created for the week. Each day can be broken up by hours, or activities, or morning, afternoon, evening. You and the teacher focus on one or two behaviors a week that you would like to change. Tell your son what you expect from him. Let us say that next week the behavior is to treat others with respect by keeping our hands to ourself. Then, when the teacher notices that your son is manifesting the correct behavior, your son gets a sticker or star or happy face for that time period. You can have one chart for home and one for school. After receiving 10 stickers, your son receives a really special treat or outing. You can adjust the number as you deem necessary. Your son will be receiving lots of attention for his great behavior. However, the key is to be patient and consistent. Changes may not happen overnight but they will happen. Spanking and yelling and time out draw attention to negative behavior. The goal of disciplining your child is to teach .

Hope this was helpful. Have a great day!