proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Hello, my wife and I have a 8 year old boy who I believe is

Hello, my wife and I have a 8 year old boy who I believe is suffering from ADHD. His teachers have also approached me about his impulsivity, inability to focus on tasks, his disruption in the class room, and told us that it might be beneficial to him to get seen by a pediatrician to test for ADHD. They also believe he has it. However, my wife does not believe in ADHD, she thinks its a "made up" condition used to medicate kids with a lot of energy, and that america is the only place that diagnosis ADHD. This is worrisome because I have been doing research on ADHD, and it only gets worse. He is having a VERY difficult time in school, since he started 1st grade. Any advice on how to approach this situation?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. My son had the same symptoms as your son starting in the second grade. He was diagnosed with ADHD. His behavior in school was worsening which in turn affected his learning. Doctors are quick to want to put an ADHD child on medication as it is almost like a quick fix. The medications do help with attention and impulsivity but have varying side affects. I chose to put my son on medication but my spouse was completely against the idea of medication. After almost two years of being on medication, we decided to take him off. It did help his impulsivity but his ability to focus has improved probably because he has matured as well. He received counseling and learned intervention and coping strategies to deal with situations since he has been off medication. That is my personal experience.

But for your son, only a medical professional can diagnose ADHD. It will be a personal decision to medicate your son. Then schedule a meeting with the school psychologist. You will need to request that testing be done in writing. He or she can perform testing to see if your son has a learning disability which often is coupled with ADHD.
Then,the school psychologist can determine what modifications your son may or may not need in the classroom. Depending upon the results of the evaluation, your son may qualify for special services.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, let me know.