proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

I have a 13, 11, and 7 year old. They are slobs about the

I have a 13, 11, and 7 year old. They are slobs about the following:
1. take things out and don't put it away.
2. leave messes.
3. don't pick up the lid on toilet seat
4. leave food out.
5. break things out of carelessness

I have not been so great about holding them accountable but I am trying to buckle down and focus . They become argumentative or point the finger at the other person. I end up feeling frustrated and angry. I can clean a room only for it to be messed up within minutes. There cleaning habits are poor.

My 13 year old boy is particularly hard headed. He has a little ADD and they are all comfortable sitting in the middle of a mess without noticing it.

How do I get started to change this behavior
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about your problems. Are they all boys? Are both parents in the home?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The oldest is a boy. He is the biggest slob...and can be very hard headed in relpy. The youngest is "sneaky sloppy" but just as bad. The younger two are girls
Hello and Thank You for responding. If you can afford it, have a house cleaner come and clean your house spic and span from top to bottom. Then after the house is immaculate, take the kids room by room and tell them how you expect them to help keep the house clean. Make it a competition and keep a daily chart of who has the cleanest room for the day or who helped do something extra in the house to keep it clean. Then at the end of the week, review the chart and reward the one person who has been the most helpful and has kept their room the cleanest. Then start over fresh each new week. If they refuse to help in the upkeep of the house, take the cell phone, computer, video games, tv, etc. away until they are willing to participate in maintaining the cleanliness of the house. Try to pay more attention to the things that they are doing well and try not to focus so much on the negative which will get you nowhere but to a headache. The key is to be persistent and patient. Do not expect a major change overnight. Take baby steps to reach the goal.
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor