proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 10 year old daughter is very sensitive and at school she

My 10 year old daughter is very sensitive and at school she often gets upset by her friends. I listen to her but then try and give her advice about dealing with things in a different way or seeing the situation in a different way. She has now said that I never see things from her point of view and that I want her to be strong!!. I am thinking of ways forward for her rather than just listening. (the teacher in me). I want her to be able to shrug things off a bit more. Please advise as I would like her to have an easier time.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Is your daughter being picked on at school? Does she have many friends?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has some friends. Her closest friend lost her dad in April and is no longer around at playtimes. I don't think she is picked on. I do think she gets sensitive and fears rejection. She has joined a new class and has made one new friend and has two other girls to be with. I've tried to interest her in being with the boys sometimes like my other daughter did when things between the girls got quite intense but she's not interested in that.
Hello and Thank You for responding. What you might try is to get your daughter involved in out of school activities like sports or the arts in which she will have to interact with other children. She may feel less threatened by the children that she does not have to see on a daily basis. Then when you see that she is becoming less sensitive in social situations, her behavior may carry over to the school setting. What you can also do is role play situations that your daughter is faced with. You can play your daughter and she can play students who reject her. Then change roles and discuss how your daughter felt. This activity can be done every couple of days so she will begin seeing things from others' perspectives. Furthermore many health facilities offer feelings management classes for children in a small group setting so that children can learn specific intervention and coping strategies that correlate to specific situations. One more idea is to start an interactive journal with your daughter. She may find it easier to write or draw her concerns and you can respond to her in the journal but in no way should this replace verbal communication. Hope this helps. Have a great day.