proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

my 3 year old grandson from being rough by hitting

how do I stop my 3 year old grandson from being rough by hitting other children hitting the family dog pushing grown ups if you say no or ask them to do something they do not want to do like take a nap or just have quiet time or you can't have something to eat right now.Please help I am finding no one likes to be around him even other family members and sister who 0ne year older missing out on things because of him. When you are talking to someone and he starts talking to you he does not like to be unnoticed or he will pull your arm or make noise so  you will answer him or just listen to what he would like to tell you abount what he is doing or sees something he like from tv.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. How long has your grandson behaved in this manner? Are both parents in the home? Has anything majorly stressful happened to him recently? Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is two parents in the home but the mother has gone back to work and the children went to day care but my grandson son was always being sent home for not getting along with the kids he also would say no to the teacher therefore the teacher said she could not get him to do what he was told some days he would do okay but sometimes he would be sent home after being there for less than 1 hour some say the kids did not like him he was to rough. The family got a new kitten but the kitten would run away from him he was not gentle and his sister would have the kitten sit on her lap but that is what he would have liked too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is two parents in the home but the mother has gone back to work and the children went to day care but my grandson son was always being sent home for not getting along with the kids he also would say no to the teacher therefore the teacher said she could not get him to do what he was told some days he would do okay but sometimes he would be sent home after being there for less than 1 hour some say the kids didd not like him he was to rough
What kind of discipline techniques do the parents use if any at all ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is two parents in the home but the mother has gone back to work and the children went to day care but my grandson son was always being sent home for not getting along with the kids he also would say no to the teacher therefore the teacher said she could not get him to do what he was told some days he would do okay but sometimes he would be sent home after being there for less than 1 hour some say the kids didd not like him he was to rough The parents but him in his room or just talks to him trying to find out why he does these things he tells them what he has done but no real punishment since he he so young please provide some type of solution to help him be more social with other small children
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is two parents in the home but the mother has gone back to work and the children went to day care but my grandson son was always being sent home for not getting along with the kids he also would say no to the teacher therefore the teacher said she could not get him to do what he was told some days he would do okay but sometimes he would be sent home after being there for less than 1 hour some say the kids didd not like him he was to rough The parents but him in his room or just talks to him trying to find out why he does these things he tells them what he has done but no real punishment since he he so young
Hello and Thank You for responding. What you can do to help your grandson learn social etiquette is to invite a cousin or friend over to the house who is around his age for about an hour. Carefully watch how your grandson interacts. If he misbehaves, stop him dead in his tracks. Tell him the right way that he should be behaving. Do this for several times and then try two and then three children for longer periods of time.

The problem is that he needs to be specifically taught how to behave and what is right and wrong. Everyone is so focused on his bad behavior. What happens when he does something wonderful? If all your grandson hears is no, he will always say no. Additionally, children are observational learners. Hopefully, he has not witnessed any ongoing negative behavior between his parents and is simply acting out.