proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My husband and I adopted our daughter from Bulgaria when she

My husband and I adopted our daughter from Bulgaria when she was two. Her first two years were spent in an orphanage. She bonded with us immediately, and her adjustment to our home was smooth. She just started fifth grade at a small, catholic school. Up to this point,she has done well academically, makes friends, and seems to be happy. She has some issues with being unfocused, easily distracted, and is a little socially and emotionally immature for her age. She can also be very stubborn. Fifth grade is a transition year at her school, and students are required to do more homework. She is also playing on her schools volley ball team, which practices every night after school from 3:30-5:00 My daughter has become very emotional and stubborn while doing her homework and stretches it out, so that it sometimes requires two hours--or most of her night.  Many nights are stressful for all of us. On two or three occasions, in the last few months, after she is remorseful about the scene she has caused, she has implied to me that she could kill herself. (Puts a pretend gun to her head.) This has me very worried. Do we need to see a counselor?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Yes yes yes... take her to see counselor. Threats of suicide need to be taken more seriously these days. There may be more issues here than you realize. Seek a referral from her pediatrician for a decent counselor. She needs intervention and coping strategies to deal with life on life's terms.