proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

my daughter is ten and is having thoughts of a violent nature

Customer Question

my daughter is ten and is having thoughts of a violent nature at school but also when she is exploring her body , she said that if she sees a violent act like smaking on tv she feels the urge to explore her body , but she told me two nights ago that the thoughts she has are dispturbing her and feels she is a bad person and ashamed that she thinks of these things . what should i do
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. What types of violent thoughts does your daughter have? What specifically do you mean relating to exploring her body? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Firstly in relation to exploring her body I mean masturbating second when she does this she said she thinks a bout people being smaked or being forced to have sexual inter cause
But also she feels ashamed about this and wants to stop
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Thank You for responding. Usually, children at the age of ten do not have such thoughts unless they have been exposed to images or such actions. First of all, check and make sure that she has not seen such images/ actions on the Internet or on television. Secondly, make sure that her friends or even an older adult is not influencing her. Lastly, and this is really important, think of all the people that your daughter comes into contact with. Try to eliminate the possibility of sexual, emotional, and/ or physical abuse. Then contact your daughter's pediatrician for a referral to a child counselor/psychologist. Your daughter may need a series of sessions so that she can deal with her feelings in an appropriate way through intervention and coping strategies. Also, there may be more to the situation, or not, than you realize but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day.