proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My daughter is a straight A sophmore high school student and

My daughter is a straight A sophmore high school student and a cheerleader.

My wife and I think she needs more balance and should socialize with a different crowd than the nerds that she gravitates to.

We think it has resulted in her being alienated by a certian crowd and not being asked to the dance.

Are we crazy to think this way? How do we encourage her to branch out.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and You for using Just Answer. Since your daughter is a cheerleader, I would presume that she has already branched out and knows many students. It is difficult to select your friends for high school children. As long as she is getting good grades, staying away from drugs and alcohol but knows the consequences and seriousness of using them, and is motivated to continue her studies after high school, then you need not worry. Oh...and make sure she is aware of the dangers of sexting, Facebook, teen age sex etc. She seems to be on a great path. She may branch out more in college when she is faced with a different crowd. If you keep pressing the issue now, she will continue to pull away and put the wall up. It sounds like you have a wonderful daughter. There is no need for concern right now. Have a great day.