proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My wife and I have been seperated for almost 6 months. In

My wife and I have been seperated for almost 6 months. In less than a week she will be leaving for Utah (we live in Canada) for the Mormon convention. My issue is this, she will be leaving our two little girls (age 2 and 3 1/2) behind for over 2 weeks for this. During this time they will be under the care of their grandmother who, due to multiple medical issues, has problems at times to manage 1 of the girls for more than a full day. Because of my work I cannot keep the girls during the day, but she has flat out refused to allow the girls to sleep over at my place (which used to be our home).

My question is this: Is her leaving like this "acceptable" / "normal" for a mother to do or am I over reacting because of our own failed marriage? To me and several friends, this "vacation" of hers is nothing short of abandoning her kids for 2 weeks, placing her religion above the needs of the children whom she claims she does everything and has sacrified everything for. PS: She turned Mormon less than 2 months ago from what I have been able to gather. Could she have fallen under negative influence and how is this going to affect our girls in the long run?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your wife. It is odd that she would take such a vacation and leave such young children behind. She is definitely being influenced most likely by her new found friends of her religion. She is abandoning her children. The ultimate test will be how much she wants the children in her life when she returns. Having your wife go away for 2 weeks now will not emotionally harm the children because they are so young. It is a lengthy time but she may need the time to sort out her feelings. She is confused right now as to what she really wants in life. What you need to do is wait until she returns from her trip and notice any negative influences that she is imparting on the children. Then, you can contact me back with your further concerns. Thank you.
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor