proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

I am estranged from my younger brother (I have two, another

Customer Question

I am estranged from my younger brother (I have two, another brother younger again - I am the eldest). I have been estranged from my brother for going on two years. These two years have been the most peaceful of my life as my brother and I have always had a tumultuous relationship, with him saying some very hurtful things to me, to the point that I don't want to have anything to do with him and family events have always had one or the other of us there, not both at the same time. What has happened now is that I've separated from my husband. The whole family now thinks that because I have split up with my husband (whom my brother hated) we are going to have a miraculous reunion. I've put the kybosh on that but what I want to know is; should I let my daughter develop a relationship with her uncle, aunt and cousins without me there? For example, my youngest brother's daughter turns one shortly. I won't be going if my middle brother is going to be there but should I let my mother take my daughter along?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Your children should have a relationship with their relatives but you should be included as well. Have a talk with your brother. Try to let go of the past and start fresh. Life is too short to hold onto grudges. Try to speak with your brother to clear the air.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That wasn't very helpful.

Question is open to other experts.