proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My child loses his temper and breaks down and cries when things

Customer Question

My child loses his temper and breaks down and cries when things dont go his way. He is 7 years old (turning 8 in December). Examples are crying when we ask him to work on homework, or if he is in line for the bus and cuts in front of another child - then is reprimanded, or if he wants to go to a friends house but we ask him to clean up room first. How can I help stop that response from him? I wait until he comes down and then we talk about it but we have been doing this for years and he still is very emotional.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that your son is having. Is he an only child? Has he always acted in this manner? Does he participate in any outside school activities? Are both parents in the home? How does he perform academically? Has he had any major and recent life stressors? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he is the middle child of 3. an older brother and younger sister. he has always responded in this manner. he participatges in karate (no issues in this activity) and in soccer (is tempermental in this activity). both parents are home and solid relationship. academically he can do better. he doesnt always test well if he is distracted during a test he doesnt perform to his level. no major life stressors.
Has he ever had counseling?