proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

This is a Parenting question.

Customer Question

This is a 'Parenting' question.
I am Canadian but live in Holland with my Dutch husband. We want out son (born April 2011) to be bilingual in both English and Dutch. I inially like the 'one parent, one language' method but my husband is away from home for 6 days and then home for 5 (rotation). Is there a modified method that could be used in our case?

Already Tried:
Right now both parents speak together in english, but outside the house in Dutch. Father speaks only Dutch to the child and mom speaks 50% of the time to the child in English and the rest in Dutch. Child is only 5 months old.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I apologize that your question has gone unanswered. With regards XXXXX XXXXX language issue, select which language you like your son to be the more dominant language. Then, the parent who spends the most time with your son, being you, only speak that dominant language. When your husband is around, he should speak only the other language. You are correct in the sense that the one parent one language method would still be the most viable option even if your husband continues with his schedule.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When it