proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My kids 7 and 8 are in public school in NYS. Regular ed. My

My kids 7 and 8 are in public school in NYS. Regular ed. My daughters' class is called itergraded children teaching and has 1/3 of class kids with disabilities. She is the best is class, and loosing motiavation since she has no competition and a low standard comparing with others. I am extremely concered and do not know how to convince the principle to switch my daughter to a regular class. Thanks.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. How does your daughter perform academically? What grade is she in...about 3rd? Have you talked to the principal already? Thank You!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she is in a second grade and is one of the best students in class. She does very well, but i see that she is very fast with her homework, it is not challenging enough. She does not have a healthy competition in class and loosing interest. I talked to the principle, and he was not very open to the idea saying that classes have been formed already. He also stated that students (regular students) were selected to this class according to academic and social abilities. My assumption is (I hope I am wrong) that this class was formed with very strong regular students, so they do not require much attention and can do work on their own, meanwhile teachers can concentrate on students with special ed. This can work, the only thing is my daughter definitely is not benefiting from it.
Usually, a principal should honor a parental request. You have very valid reasons. Your daughter is not being challenged and is losing interest. What you can do is to call the school. Ask who the principal's supervisor is. You do not even have to give your name. Get the supervisor's phone number and call them to explain the situation. Believe me, when the principal has found out that his/her supervisor was called, he/she will not be happy and will probably move your daughter to another classroom just to make you more content. In the meantime, pay a few visits to your daughter's classroom so that you can see exactly what is happening as more evidence to support your case. Laughing
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor