proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My father divorced his second wife, so my two little brothers

My father divorced his second wife, so my two little brothers from that marriage do not talk to dad anymore. His ex-wife set the kids against dad badly. Dad wants to talk to them but he lives in an other country. I'm the only link between them, and I need to talk to my little brother. But he is very touchy when it comes to that subject, how shall I approach him, without losing his trust and traumatise him even more?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello...How old are your little brothers? About how old are you? Are you male or female? Thanks!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My brothers are 17 and 13. I am concerned with the younger one. I am 23, female.
Hello and Thank You for responding. All you can do at this point is let your brothers know that you love them and will always be there for them. If you keep on bringing up the issue of their dad, it will push them farther away. Your brothers are both teen agers and are in a very rocky stage of emotional development. When they are ready to talk about their dad, they will. You are sort of in the middle of the situation so you probably should lay low and let your dad be the initiator of contacts. Your dad can first try calling his sons and if that does not work try writing a letter. If the sons do not respond or if the mother never gives them the letter, then you can step in to intervene to find out why the brothers do not want to speak to dad. The brothers may need counseling from a third party who would be a neutral source. They may have repressed anger issues about the divorce and need intervention and coping strategies. Have a great day!