Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I have a 16 year old son who does not like to abide by the

Customer Question

I have a 16 year old son who does not like to abide by the rules at home. When laying down the rules he simply states that he will do what he wants. He states that he would rather get his drivers license so he can work rather than going to baseball practice. He leaves the house at 730pm very upset and it is now 900pm. I don't know what the curfew is for his age and don't really know how to handle this situation. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok so he does not respect your authority. It is time to pull out all the stops on this one to regain your authority, otherwise the problem will only worsen. Take everything out of his bedroom that you have bought him. He no longer has any more privileges. He needs to earn everything back. So lay out a list of ways he can earn things back one at a time. Believe me he will start to follow the rules if you set it up this way. Otherwise, if you can't do this then he will need to be sent to a residential treatment center where they will make him follow the rules. For parents who cannot control their kids there are treatment centers, juvenile detention centers, and eventually jail who can enforce these rules. So why not start it now before it gets to that point.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! That's sounds like a great plan. I will work on it as soon as possible!!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.