proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My granddaugher is 7 1/2 and is the only child receiving tons

My granddaugher is 7 1/2 and is the only child receiving tons of loving care and attention. She has slept with her parents until recently and they are trying to get her to sleep in her own bedroom/bed. Reasoning has not worked, nor other consequences for acting up. My daughter (her mother) takes her back to her bed until she falls asleep. But, she wakes up and returns to their bed. The newest is that she works herself up to serious vomiting all over the place instead of going back to her own bed. They live in a small condo and her room is only a few feet away. What can the parents do, short of giving in and having her mom sleep with her in her youth bed to calm her down. My daugher works in a very responsible job and needs to be rested next morning which is hard the way things are. Cleaning up vomit in the middle of the night has not been worth it! Please help and I will forward this to my daughter. Thank you very much!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that your daughter is having with your grand daughter and the sleeping arrangements. What might be tried first is to allow the grand daughter to have a close friend or female cousin spend the night with sleeping bags. They will be required to stay in the grand daughter's room. I would be curious to see how the grand daughter acts in front of a peer for sleeping time. If she sleeps in her own room, then we are on the right track. To your daughter: Then when the friend or cousin leaves, buy your daughter fancy bedding with characters that she likes. Even buy her a princess blanket, pillow, doll, or whatever that she can use for sleeping. Even put up glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. Then explain to your daughter that she must stay in her room the entire night. Create a behavior chart. Each night that she can stay in her room without any drama, she will receive a sticker...some really fancy and neat sticker. Then after receiving 10 stickers, she receives something really special or goes some place really special. After a few series of receiving 10 stickers, up the amount to 15. If she has a night of drama, she receives nothing. Actually, you may want to start with 5 stickers because it sounds like her behavior is very time consuming.The goal is to focus more on your daughter's positive behavior and not so much on the negative. When she throws up, have her clean it up more than you. She will soon get tired of cleaning up her own vomit.See how this works. It will take some time though. If after a month or two, there is little to no progress, then please contact me for additional assistance.Good luck and I wish you the best.
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor