proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

my 17 yr old son has missed a lot of school due to minor illnesses,

Customer Question

my 17 yr old son has missed a lot of school due to minor illnesses, he was on a work program and that got him thru last term. He was on one 4 wks of this term and did well then it stopped,at his request coz he wanted to prove himself, he has begun to fall behind and now absences are causing a new redemmption program to be set up, His school is supportive but last two days wouldnt go toschool after an arguement with me over my refusal to but appatite stimulant for gym work as i said we need to discuss with someone who knows as he is not fully grown. anyway the standoff is he wont go to dr with me to try and get a med certificate to cover these absences required for school attendance policy.the school wants this and he is in danger of failing just on attendance alone but says we always bring this up , my response only in relatin to absences and non completion of work, he is capapble of being a B student, so last night waited till last minute and didnt go to dr , then same today says i nag him too much, so threw water bottleat me blocked off his door ripped hid pj top a good one and strated cutting holed in his cork floor, he said he would like to come in the car with me only to swerve it so I could die! so very angry apart from calling me a fat slut. father is little involved and we are divorced, thanks, yvonne
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your son. Because of his violence and his truancy, you may need to contact law enforcement or juvenile services to get the support that you truly need. Also, make sure that his pediatrician knows what is going on daily.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i think this is too simplistic he is anxious about failing despite his ability and is paying out on me, n australia we dont have peaditrician inviled but youth services may be an option/ but I need to know how to strategise tommorrow to get him to see a dr, thx Yvonne
Hello, what you can do is to have the doctor or whomever is involved call your son to sway him to come in for an appointment. Also, see if his school counselor or school psychologist can talk to him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well dr only talk when u r in consult and school counsellor not avail on weekends, also I am asking about my approach, I am the one who lives with him, sorry I have not found you helpful or prectical for my needs, thx for your efforts,
Ok...I will allow another expert to assist you.