proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Please provide how I should handle the situation, since I blew

Please provide how I should handle the situation, since I "blew up" at my daughter over the phone, and now that she is back at her dorm, I feel I might have pushed her away? It' hard to be the parent in this situation, I feel I am competing for my daughters attention? This friends is 1.5 years older, and always telling my daughter that parents and kids fight, and that she shouldn't tell me "everything", since I will just worry and probably get upset? Now that she is away at college for a month, I can really see the influence she is having on my daughter, since we text daily, but she really doesn't want to "visit". am I just be over protective, she is my oldest and only daughter, I have a son 14.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your daughter. A mother will always be protective of their children no matter what age they are. However when they are away at college, all you can do is hope and pray that they will remember the values that you have taught them and will make the right decisions. You have given her wings while she lived at home, and now she has the ability to fly. She may get caught up in the party life but she will soon realize that she is responsible for every decision that she makes while at college and will have to suffer consequences for bad decisions. As for right now, you can call or text and tell your daughter that you are sorry. Let her know that you will always love her and be there to support her in her college experience. Make sure that she knows that she can talk to you about anything. Just give her the space that she wants right now. She will always need you. She is simply trying to be grown up now. Do not take it personal. All parents experience your feelings when their children go off to college. You can and will get through this!!!
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor