Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

Yesterday my 4 year old son was touched by another boy of the

Yesterday my 4 year old son was touched by another boy of the age of 8. I dont know what steps i need to take to make sure my son is ok. I talked to him yesterday about what happened and told him that it is not ok to see someone elses privates, and that he shpuld also never show his privates to anyone else. My main concern is to make sure my son will recover from this inncident without any future problems. My son was the one to tell my wife what had happened and he new that what had happened was wrong. Please help me with the direction i should go to make sure my son is will recover from this.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.
Hold on, slow down, and calm down. He did the right thing and you did the right thing. Just because he was touched doesn't mean he will be traumatized. Keep him away from the boy and tell the boy's parents. Aside from that, have ongoing discussions about inappropriate touch and what he should do if he is approach or touched in the future. Keep your calm and he will feel comfortable talking with you in the future. Aside from that, I 100% believe everything is fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have talked to the boys parents and are hoping they take action to help there son. As far as my son i am worried that he will always have this situation in the back of his mind. Do we never talk of this inncident again or do do we talk about it more with him. Thank you for your time and patience. Im just a concerned patent.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.
I hear your concern. No need to keep bringing it up. We can't predict that it will stay on his mind but I can predict that if you keep bringing it up then it will stay on his mind. From here on out just have random conversations about private parts and good touch bad touch. No need to keep rehashing something that was a one time thing.