proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My wife is trying to be to controlling of our 5 year old son

Customer Question

My wife is trying to be to controlling of our 5 year old son and resorts to yelling at him quite often. He responds by trying to get her even more mad and telling her that he hates her. What can I do as a dad and husband to calm the situation. For me with my son I rarely have to raise my voice and he does everything I ask relitively without question.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Raising a child at any age can be a very frustrating experience. However it takes a lot of patience, nurturing, and love in the good times and the bad. If your son is not really behaving that badly and her behavior does not match your son's actions, there may be some underlying issues. She is just using your son as an easy target to express her negative emotions.

Are you and your wife trying to have another child? Has your wife recently changed jobs? Are there unresolved family conflicts? Is your marriage a happy and healthy one.

You may want to consider family counseling or just parenting counseling to see if there are underlying issues in your wife's life. Also, she may desire to seek professional counseling herself to receive intervention and coping strategies in how to parent.

Hope this helps. Have an awesome day!