Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

I have a 1 month old baby boy with my gf. she already has 2

Customer Question

I have a 1 month old baby boy with my gf. she already has 2 and 4 year old girls we all live togther. the 2 year old might have adhd. she is very hyper. throws tantrums every second. always is changing what she wants. always screamng and crying. she always wants to touch the baby and have what the baby has. no matter what we tell her.. she wont wont listen to anything . if we tell her mommy has to feed the baby dont touch.she wont listen.. go to your room.. she wont problem is as a dad I want the baby feeding or sleeping time to be quiet. today we sent the kids in there room and the 2 year had a crazy tantrum not wanting to go. I want to close the door in our room but my gf wont let me close the door. am I right? what should I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA.
Two years of age is too early to diagnose ADHD.

I would like to tell you what it is like to be 2 years old and have a new brother. It is the same as if your gf came home one day with another man and said. "Hi honey, I want you to meet Dave. I love him and he is going to live with us. I hope you will welcome him into our family here we will all be happy. I hope you will love him too"

So you see, all of her behaviors are about being jealous (understandable) and wanting attention (also understandable). You can help by giving mother help with baby so that mother can give 4 and 2 year old some quality special time together.

Good luck...