Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

Do I have the right to be angry at my mother. First off, she

Do I have the right to be angry at my mother. First off, she makes big promises like buying me something she's been hanging over my head for about 3 years. And also she said 1 year ago that she would pay back the money she took from me without asking and still hasn't paid me. And when I ask... She gets upset at me or makes an excuse like " it's in my account so you can't spend it on stupid stuff. And also, this may sound selfish. But my mom is always buying the cheapest thing possible. Even when I was a kid she would promise me she would get a contract phone and than goes out and gets the cheapest tea fine there is. And when she had promised me a Mac, she bought me a crappy refurb. Do I have the right to be mad or am I just being a spoiled brat. Truthfally
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 years ago.
I don't think you have a right to be mad and it is not because of being a spoiled brat. It seems that your mother has a lifelong pattern of this behavior. Basically, she is not dependable and cannot be trusted. Therefore, this behavior should not keep surprising you. She is who she is. Don't be mad at her because this is how she is. Be mad at yourself for allowing yourself to be manipulated and disappointed every time you want to count on her. Hopefully you will no longer put your trust in her; which in turn will lower your anger towards her.