Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

My former spouse and I were divorced three months ago, but

My former spouse and I were divorced three months ago, but have been separated since 1 1/2 years ago. Our daughter is soon to be 3 so she doesn't recall us all in the same home. She does however know who her mom and who her dad is.

My ex has had her boyfriend living with them off and on since the divorce. How can we minimize the confusion for our daughter with another man, not her father, living in the house now? Is there any specialist we as co-parents can meet with that would offer advice or suggestions on this subject?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA.

There are specialist who do co--parenting counseling. They can generally be found if you call the law offices of lawyers who practice Collaborative Divorce and ask for names of co-parenting counselors. If you "search/google" these terms Collaborative Divorce and Co-parenting counselor, you may be able to find someone as well.

Just for your information...children can generally pick up the concept of really daddy (who they call Daddy) and "step" daddy (who they call by name) pretty quickly.

I hope this helps.