Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

Our 31 year old son will soon be looking for a job. I as a

Our 31 year old son will soon be looking for a job. I as a parent found a great insurance opportunity for him. He rejected that it wasn't creative enough. In this economy you have to take what you can get. What should we do? I don't want to be an I told you so parent.
The parents need to take a hands-off approach. Anything you suggest will be met with resistance. He is 31 and should be able to find a job on his own. Hopefully you are still not housing him and paying his way in life. As long as he can pay his way then it shouldn't matter what kind of job he has. If he is mooching off of you then it would be time to set some limits with him and not give him a free ride. But I suggest not even bringing up the job situation unless he does and support him in whatever he does because basically he doesn't want to hear anything to the contrary and that would just cause friction between you guys.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is curently living in our weekend home(rent free). He has been in retail business for himself for 5 yrs., but is now closing the store(with debt). Any suggestions for expected timelines/limits for staying in the residence?
Well rent free might be ok but he needs to pay the bills. So if that is the arrangement then I see no problem with it. He should pay for electricity and food, etc. He wants to be an adult then he can have the adult responsibilities.