proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My 27 year old daughter and 3 yr old and 9 year grand daughters

My 27 year old daughter and 3 yr old and 9 year grand daughters live with my wife and I due to economic circumstances - she is divorcing. I am very concerned about her complete lack of attention to the children's needs. Tonight she put her 3 year old to bed - without sheets on the bed; on the matress cover - with a blanket and in the clothes they wore all day - no pajamas. Her mother and I are horrified that she sees nothing wrong with this. Are we old fashioned or is this (and other incidents of complete disregard for the childrens care) something that needs professional help? Twice this month she has forgotten to pick up the youngest one from daycare after work. We are worried.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. You have every right to be deeply concerned about your daughter and her ability to effectively meet the needs of her children. If before the divorce she met the needs of her children just fine, then presently she is obviously suffering from the extreme stress of going through the divorce. What you can do is to help her as much as you can with the children without getting frustrated yourself or upset that she is being neglectful. If she is willing to talk to you about her feelings, then by all means have an open and honest talk about all of the ups and downs she is going through. Ask her for explanations about why she is so forgetful. Tell her that you will be there for her and know that her situation is not easy so there is no reason to be defensive because you want to help her and the kids. Your daughter may also benefit from seeing a counselor. Additionally, your daughter may also be depressed and feel like a failure.