proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My child has been in Hopewell School District with Learning

Customer Question

My child has been in Hopewell School District with Learning Disabilities since he's been 3 1/2. He's gone through every school in our district, since he was 3 including summer school.,now he's 8 1/2 and we finally found out by experts he's Dyslexic. The teacher's we believe knew (we don't know for sure, but are very confident they knew) however, under "State Law" or "progress reports" under "IEP's" they covered themselves by saying "PROGRESS". They say it's "progress" however my 3rd grader is reading on a "kindergarten" level. They get away with it by saying "progress". The teachers are not certified in anyway, shape of form to teach a Dyslexic Person. Hell, they don't even use the word "Dyslexic" they treat it like it's a virus. Oh, Mr. & Mrs. Busch, "we don't use that Word". Well, WTF do "they" call it. Sorry, I'm very upset, frustrated, you don't even know how I'm feeling, other than I put my child down for the last 2 years of his life. We could of helped him and stopped the frustration that had happened in our house hold a long time ago. Instead, I'm really ashamed, what has occurred here. I didn't see it. I didn't know any better, he was our 1st child in the school district and we put our faith in our School District. We've asked meeting after meeting "could he possibly be Dyslexic" oh "NO" was their answer. We didn't know, there are no known family members with this sort of "Differene". How would we know? I can go on for hours my frustration about this, I feel like a horrible parent. whatever that's another question, i'll have to pay $22 worth to get that one answered. "Kidding" i just need to keep a positive spirit and Pray this Laywer tomorrow can help us, or we need to consider moving. Which we will for Ryan to get what needs and deserves to succeed as an adult. Funny, the school district are willing to read Ryan his ?'s on tests and him answer them Verbally. So, he doesn't have to read the question or write his answer, and that's helping him "How"? ARRGGHH, I'm soooo, frustrated and hurt, we could use alot of guidence. I hope your answer to us is in full detail, because I respect Dr. Phil his accomplishments and his success as a family and would LOVE to hear what he'd do in my situation. I know "it's not him answering this question as well" i'm putting my faith in "YOU", answering my ?, God knows you have our Answer, thank you and "You Rock" <[:o) Valerie Busch
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Is your son in a regular classroom setting with an IEP? When is the next annual review for his IEP? Who classified him as dyslexic? I need a little background info and then I am going to do a little research about the next steps that you need to take as a parent because you do have rights.

Hello...I know that you wanted an answer as soon as possible. I am not sure what state you are in but once you tell me, I can provide you with a resource. In the meantime, since you have a factual dispute of what is happening with your child, you may need to file Due Process because your child has fallen behind in regular class, may need to be in a special class, and you have problems that qualify for due process resolution.

You must formally request due process in order for a mediation or hearing to be scheduled. Due process requests are sometimes referred to as due process complaints. However, make sure that the information that you present is all factual.

You must provide specific written information about the dispute to initiate due process. There can be no hearing or mediation until you initiate the first step. You must also provide this written notice to the school district and send a copy to the state department of education branch responsible for special education. You can find more information at www.ed.gov.

Your written request must include the following information:

-your child's name and address

-the name of your child's school

-a description of the disputed issues including the facts relating to the issues

-your desired resolution-not only what you want for your child's education, but also that you want to be reimbursed for your due process costs, such as attorney fees, witness fees, and independent evaluation costs

-whether you want to mediate or go directly to a hearing

This step will get the ball rolling otherwise your son will be in the same situation. The school district is doing a disservice to your son.