proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

In reference to my previous questions. Some follow up questions.

In reference to my previous questions. Some follow up questions. What are the danger signs to look for in an infant ((weeks) whose 51/2 year old sibling repeatedly slapped him on the forehead while he was in his infant car seat.

How should a 5 1/2 year old best be involved in the care for her infant brother.

Is punishment at this age best with timeouts? naughty mats? depriving privileges? correction with positive reinforcement? Playdates at this age important?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.

The most obvious signs to look for are marks of any kind and bruising. Also, if the skin is very tender to the touch in an area where you suspect your infant may have been slapped. You will know if the skin is tender if your infant cries when you touch that area. Also, if your infant is crying and you know your daughter had been nearby.

If at all possible, do not sit your infant right next to the five year old while riding in the car. If you just have two children, put the 5 year old in the seat behind you and the infant behind the passenger seat. If you have an SUV with a third row, put the 5 year old in that row. Also, make sure you have one of those mirrors that you can see everything that is happening with your children while driving.

First of all, make sure that she is rarely left alone with your son because he is still very young. Here are some things that she can do in order to be mommy's little helper. She can help you pack the diaper bag when you go places. She can sort his dirty clothes that need to be cleaned. She can get diapers and wipes when you are changing the baby. She can pick out toys for him in the store. She can "read" a story to him while he is in your lap. She can sing to him. She can even talk to him. He will listen as he gets very accustomed to the sound of her voice. Nonetheless, she really cannot provide true care for her brother like you do. She still needs lots of supervision because of her slapping history.

Is punishment at this age best with timeouts? naughty mats? depriving privileges? correction with positive reinforcement? Play dates at this age important?

Timeouts at this age are fine. 5-7 minutes will work well for her age as long as she can manage to stay put in one place. She can have a time out chair or whatever place has been designated where she needs to calm down and think about what she did wrong.

For a five year old, your discipline routine is mainly to teach your daughter right from wrong. Withholding privileges will come a little later, especially during the teen age years. So as for now when she misbehaves, ask her does she know what she did wrong. Tell her to state what she should have done. If she does not know, then you tell her. Then send her to the time out area to think about her naughty behavior and how next time she can be a good girl.

Play dates are fine if that is something that you are interested in. As long as she is getting social interaction at preschool, day care, or regular school, then she is receiving enough social interaction. For your daughter, play dates may actually be a great adventure because she probably feels a little slighted with the arrival of her new brother.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!!!!Laughing

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor