proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Hi, we looked after a young girl, almost 9 on Saturday night

Customer Question

Hi, we looked after a young girl, almost 9 on Saturday night for a friend. We also had our 9 year old grandson staying with us for the night. They played well together at first but then the girl really started misbehaving. When I served dinner, roast chicken, baked vegies and greens, she refused to eat with a knife and fork and used her fingers, when I told her this wasn't acceptable she said it was how she always ate her food, anything she didn't want was thrown under the table. I caught her doing this and put a stop to it and she refused to eat anything else, she didn't know the names of any of the vegetables and hated all of them. Later while we were watching tv she got a choc iceblock out of the freezer and left it in the dining room to melt all over the floor. She then started making up stories that she saw a man with a black mask over his face upstairs in a bedroom, this was thoroughly investigated and of course no one was there, she kept trying to get a knife to "stab them with", all very worrying behaviour and by this time our grandson had had enough of her and went to bed. I could not get her to sleep before 10pm and she kept trying to get a knife out of the knife block in the kitchen. I hid the knife block and really did not go to sleep all night, she seemed to want attention all the time, even bad attention. She broke things in the house and hid them, we found them the next day after she had gone, refused to shower and when I did finally get her in the shower she spread all the shampoo, conditioner and bodywash over the shower screens. She found a tin of paint in the garage and put white paint on the dark grey driveway ( she had gone out of the house to play in the yard) wrecked some of our younger grandson's (9mths) baby furniture. She told so many lies and we phoned her parents as soon as we could on Sunday morning to let them know we would be dropping her off early. I explained to the parents all the problems we had with her, they were not really surprised but were very sorry about it all. They told me she had had a sleep over with a classmate earlier in the year and that had also ended badly, the 2 little girls were in the bath and she poo'd in the bath and the parents were understandably outraged. Later that afternoon we found that she had used the toilet near or pool and had left it in a disgusting mess. Her mother put all the lies down to an overactive imagination, with regards XXXXX XXXXX table manners she agreed that that was how she always ate and really didn't see it as a big problem but was going to work on it. The parents are long time friends of my daughter and son in law so I have known this little girl since she was born. I have never found her to be a likeable child even when she was a baby but have always made a big effort to be nice to her, my daughter has a 9mth old baby and I am really frightened to have this little girl around the baby as I am worried she might hurt him. She doesn't give the baby any attention which I think is strange as all my other grandkids, boys included are always kissing and cuddling him. Her father also told me she has been wetting the bed an pooing her pants. Am I overreacting or do you see a problem with this child, her father thinks there is a big problem but Mum doesn't want to acknowledge it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Julie
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Something just is not quite right with this young girl. Her actions are way out of line and definitely not normal in any way, shape, or form. Something may be going on in her household that may be causing her to act in such a manner. The best course of action for you to take is to make a call to The Department of Child and Family Services in your area and explain all that you know about what has been happened over the years with this young girl. They will decide if further investigations of this family are necessary. Just think how you may be protecting the young girl and get her on the right track!!!