How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a divorced single mother and have been for the last 3

Resolved Question:

I am a divorced single mother and have been for the last 3 years. Last February I met a man. We are in a loving relationship and long to spend the night together. I have almost full custody of my teenagers and I don't know what is appropriate in trying to get a night of romance. Can I just tell them I'm spending the night at his house? Is it appropriate to allow him to spend the night with me occasionally? Also, I am struggling with knowing how much time I can spend away from my kids - they are 14 and 16 and wonder if I can leave them home alone to enjoy an evening out. Just trying to find the right balance.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. It would not be a wise idea to allow this man to spend the night over your house with your children there or not there unless you were soon to be married.


You can leave your 14 and 16 year olds at home for a few hours while you go out on a date with this man. There is nothing wrong with that. Just be open and honest and tell them exactly where you are going and what you are doing in case they need to contact you. Hopefully, they are responsible teenagers to be left alone at home for a few hours.


As for spending the night at his house, this is a really delicate situation. Of course this places everyone in a very awkward situation. Your children's minds will wander as to what exactly is happening while you are at his house. If at all possible, have your children spend the night over a relatives house while you spend the night at your man's house. Tell your children that you are going to spend some time with your male friend and will return the next day. They already know that you are spending the night with him so you cannot erase that fact. They are old enough to accept the fact that you have a boyfriend. You have been divorced a while as well. It sounds like you may be a little ashamed. Ask your children how they feel about the situation as well. Keep their feelings in the forefront too. This will make everyone happier in the end because I know that you want everyone to get along.


Hope this helps.Laughing

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am ashamed and feel as if I have disappointed my kids, especially my son. Do I apologize to him again for what I have done and say it won't happen again. Do I just allow them so say whatever they want to me to express how they fell? They are good kids but depend on me so much that I feel tired and maybe resentful.
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago. sound a great mom who is willing to be so open and honest with your children. I applaud you tremendously for that. Sit down with both of your children. Tell them how you feel, ashamed and like you have disappointed them. They will appreciate your honesty. Then allow them to say whatever is on their minds about the situation. You need to know how they feel. If there are some things that you all disagree upon, try to reach an agreement that you all can live with.Smile
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions