proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My son has started hitting when hes frustrated or doesnt

My son has started hitting when he's frustrated or doesn't get his way. He is also throwing himself down hard (usually hitting his head very hard) when he gets mad as well. Is this part of a new developmental stage?? How should I work to correct this? I've tried just letting him scream it out, but that can be very difficult; especially in public. He was diagnosed with a viral infection and so now his mood is even more extreme since he is irritable.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. How old is your son? Does he behave in this manner at home as much as in public? Are there other siblings in the home? Thank you!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is 15 months old. No siblings. In public and at home.
The behavior that your son is manifesting is completely normal for his developmental level as he is testing his limits and boundaries as he tries to assert his independence. As difficult as it may be for you, at home you can ignore the behavior. In public, tell your son that his behavior is unacceptable and remove him from the situation/scene. Also in public, you can try to distract your son by saying, "Oh. Look over there at the..." before his behavior gets too out of control. The key is to be consistent every time. Do not give into your son's behavior. He will realize that he cannot have his way just because he is having a tantrum. Also, really praise him when he is behaving in the correct manner...especially out in public.