proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My wife is a Kindergarten teacher. This summer she takes our

My wife is a Kindergarten teacher. This summer she takes our kids to our local lake. Several times she has seen one of her students from this past year there with her babysitter. My wife has noticed that the babysitter pays absolutely no attention to the kids she is in charge of (three kids entering 1st, 3rd and 5th grades). The young lady (about 18-19 years old) spends the entire time on her phone, or just sun bathing. The little girls hangs out for long periods of time with my wife (which she doesn't mind), but the girls actually says.. "all my babysitter does is talk on her phone."

The age-old question - do we butt in and call the Mom and tell on the babysitter or mind our own business. This isn't exactly a dangerous situation (there are plenty of life guards and other parents around), but it is less than idea.

But you know how the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished :)
Since your wife actually had one of the students in her class, she should already have a positive relationship with the mom. Your wife can call the mom and tell her that she is only telling her what she observed as a concerned parent because she would be devastated if something were to happen to any of the children...especially around the lake. You really aren't butting in because your wife already knows the family. It is better to be safe than sorry.