proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

How should I take my teenager smoking

How should I take my teenager smoking
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. How old is your teen? How long do suspect the smoking has been happening? Do you know what was smoked? Do you have a good relationship with your teen? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My son is 13 and I'm suspecting he's been smoking for a while since he has several empty packs. He is smoking cigarettes
Hello and Thank You for responding. What you must do is to confront your son. Tell him that you have discovered the empty packs. Then see how he responds. Do not display a negative attitude because then he may shut down and not want to discuss anything. Just be very open and accepting and an active listener. Then you can explain how he does not have to be a crowd follower even of his friends are smoking to be cool. Further discuss the obvious health risks with smoking. To add more of a shock value to your discussion, you can pull up pictures on the internet of people who smoked and have throat and lung cancer. Then basically let your son voice his opinion bit make it clear that you disapprove of the smoking and discuss future consequences if he continues.