How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old son is causing me great concern. He is constantly

This answer was rated:

My 17 year old son is causing me great concern. He is constantly shut away in his room, playing his xbox and on his computer. He refuses to communicate or mix with his younger sister and two brothers or come out at mealtimes. He is verbally aggressive to me and his siblings if we challenge his behaviour. I've tried switching the power and internet off in an attempt to get him out of his room and have tried talking reasonably to him which usually ends in a shouting match. I separated from his dad 4 years ago and he currently works abroad and has minimal contact with the kids (his choice not mine). I'm at my wits end what to do about this situation as nothing I do seems to get through to him and according to him it's my fault he's the way he is! His behaviour is getting us all down.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your son. Does he have many friends? Does he have any out of the home interests? Does he get along well with his dad or ever speak about him? About how long ago have you noticed his change in behavior? Thank You!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. He doesn't appear to have many friends apart from the online friends he constantly games with. I have tried to get him interested in things outwith home i.e. offered to pay for gym membership for him and as he's now 17 hope to get him interested in learning to drive. He never got along very well with his dad and rarely sees him although he's talking about going and spending his October holidays with him. I would say from about the age of 14 he's been hard work but the behaviour is getting worse and I put it down to the amount of time he spends on his computer/xbox and isolating himself from the rest of the family. I think he probably was affected by our separation as he lived with his dad initially when we broke up, for about 2 months, then moved back with me and his brothers and sister. I have tried to talk to him about it and suggested he speak to a counsellor but he doesn't want to do that either. He seems unwilling or unable to take responsibility for his actions and always blames someone else, usually me.

Hello and Happy Friday. Your son could benefit from counseling tremendously. If he will not go to a counselor at a medical facility, then speak with his school's psychologist once school starts and explain the situation with your son. The psychologist can meet with him during school time. He will have no choice but to meet then. Also, if it is at a public school the services will be free (at least they should be).


Your son probably has a great deal of repressed anger issues about the divorce and probably blames you. It might be better if he were to live with his dad to see if his behavior and attitude would change but dad would have to be strict and not let him be disrespectful and provide activities in which he could socialize more.


Playing computer games all day long is awful. The violence on those games is almost like one is in Iraq. Sitting in one's room all day and interacting on that manner is not healthy at all. I would take the X Box and computer out of his room for a while as a punishment for his behavior. he will be upset but he must show you and the rest of the family more respect.


I think counseling would be the route to go. No teen ager ever wants to go see a counselor because they feel it is for "crazy "people. But to start if he will not go, then you should seek counseling for your sanity to learn intervention and coping strategies in dealing with your son.


Have a great day.Laughing

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
proexpert37 and 3 other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions