proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My two year old son has been experiencing new behaviors. While

Customer Question

My two year old son has been experiencing new behaviors. While we know this is commonly referred to as ' the terrible twos' we want to ensure we are doing what we are supposed to extinguish these behaviors. He has been hitting a lot when he does not get what he wants. I should note he does not talk yet and is in early intervention for this. His receptive vocab is excellent - he understands everything and is very smart, but speech has been bit slower. He points to what he wants and yells - we know he is getting frustrated. He does hit, mostly me - mom - when he gets frustrated and then finds it funny when we tell him no, or put him in time out or break. He laughs when we put him in time out and also laughs and will keep doing the behavior we are telling him not to.

We are not unreasonable and know this part of his growth as a toddler - but what are the best ways to approach these behaviors so that he begins to understand that they are not appropriate behaviors and that there are consequences ( a few minutes time out or loss of a toy if he is using it inappropriately/not safely.)

We want to help him through this frustrating time with speech, but we do see that he often likes the negative attention he receives from the behaviors. Example - he will bang a door closed and we will calmly tell him, no, it's not safe. The minute he sees it got attention he liked or if we try to remove him from it, distract him, he runs back to it, looking for our reaction - it's fun for him. and becomes a game. Any suggestions would be great.
Category: Parenting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your 2 year old son. I happened to read your other post and I do get a strong sense that his negative behavior is attributed to the actions between you and your husband. Since he does not have the ability to verbally express his feelings, he is hitting, crying, slamming doors, etc. Since he is so young, the best route to take is to seek professional assistance from a child psychologist who specializes in play therapy so that your son can learn intervention and coping strategies in dealing with his inappropriate behavior in an age appropriate manner. Your son does not seem to have much respect for your which he has obviously learned from his dad. Please seek help for your son.

Thank you!!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I appreciate the poster's response and while I agree with some of the insight, I just would like the advice of a professional - someone perhaps with a background in psyschology, child development, counseling, therapy, etc - and someone who is practicing in that field.

Ok...I will allow another expert to assist you. Thank you for your time.