proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My kid is 3. His parents are separated. His mother is overwhelming

My kid is 3. His parents are separated. His mother is overwhelming with affection. Took him camping ths past weekend. 7yr old and 2 yr old. He felt it was important to hug them numerous times even after meeting them a day before. Is this him trying to understand his space or him being insecure?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Children at the age of 3 often imitate what they see and hear. The 3 year old is probably showered with affection by his mother since she is so affectionate anyway. Therefore, the three year old was probably so elated to spend time with other children during a camping trip that he simply felt the need to hug them as well. If the hugging becomes troublesome or a worry, the three year old needs to be told that he can give one "hello" hug and one "goodbye" hug when he meets people.

Have an awesome day!!!