proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My wife and are getting a devorce and we live in AZ. She wants

My wife and are getting a devorce and we live in AZ. She wants to go back home and live in San Diego. We have a 16 month old daughter!!!!! We want to do whats best for our daughter concerning visitation. My idea is that we each have her for 3month intervals with as much visitation as possible by the opposite parent during each 3 month period. Whats best for the baby! And ofcoarse this senario only works until Maddie goes to school. What do you think?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the divorce. However, I am glad that you and your partner are thinking about what is best for your daughter. Unless the court rules on the specifics of visitation and you can otherwise amicably work out a schedule suitable for all, with your daughter's best interest in mind, then so be it.

Since your daughter is so young, the main concern is consistency. The plan of three months one place and three months in another place sounds feasible. As long as your daughter is not traumatized by the switch between parents. What you can do to get her accustomed to such a switch is to start with one week with mom and one week with dad. Nonetheless, she should maintain a close relationship with both mom and dad. It sounds like you and your soon to be ex wife will be able to work with the situation.

Hope this helps. If further advice is needed, just ask!!!