proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Little girl will be 9 in a few days.Non custotal parent is

Little girl will be 9 in a few days.Non custotal parent is bi polar and refuses to take medication..She does not call or return calls.Child thinks she is unloved everytime phone rings she thinks it is mom. How do we handle this.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the feelings of the child. Are you the dad or just a concerned relative? How often does the child see her mom? Has the child ever received counseling? How long have the parents been apart? Were the parents ever married? Thank you!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am the step great grand parent.Her mom has visitation rights but she doesn't use them. there are 2 girls one soon to be 9 and 1 soon to be 7. they live in mo. mom is in utah.they have not seen her since last Aug. they were never married, been apart for 6 years.have not received counseling. dad has custody.

Thank you for responding. To help both girls deal with the stress of their absentee mother, please assure them that their mom loves them and always will. But sometimes people do not make the right choices in life and it hurts others. Have the girls make an I Love You card for the mom with lots of pretty decorations. Explain that the mom will receive the card but may not respond. Also, the girls can keep a journal and write down all of the things they would like to tell their mom so when they do see her, they can reflect back in their journals. Writing thoughts down on paper always seems to help. They can draw pictures of things that they are doing and would one day like to do with their mom. The journal should be somewhat fancy so that the girls realize that it is special.

Also, you may want to mention to the dad that the girls get some type of counseling so that they can learn intervention and coping strategies in dealing with the absentee mom.

Hope this helps.