proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My daughter is ten months old. She sleeps in our bed most of

My daughter is ten months old. She sleeps in our bed most of the time. We have tried to get her to sleep in the crib but it just doesn't take. She will sleep for a couple of hours and then wake up and realize she is alone and start to scream. We don't want to just let her cry it out.

How can we show compassion and get her to sleep in the crib?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I have some background questions for you..

1. Does she start off in the evening in her own crib?

2. What time does she go to sleep at night?

3. How many naps does she take during the day?

4. Why don't you want her to cry it out?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. Sometimes.
2. Between 8-9
3. 2
4. Because I don't want her to feel abandoned.

Thank you.
Hello and Thank You for responding.. Your goal is to ultimately get your daughter to be able to fall asleep by herself in her own bed and to soothe herself if she wakes up in the middle of the night. But she is still young so you will need to take baby steps. However, many parents like co-sleeping with their children. Nonetheless, what you can do is to place your child to sleep in her bed when you know that she is very sleepy. You can stay in the room with her until she falls asleep. You can sit in a comfy chair or lay down right on the floor next to your daughter's crib. She may cry or stand up because she wants to be comforted. You can tell her, "It's alright. Mommy is still here." If she wakes up in the middle of the night, which she probably will for a while, try soothing her back to sleep. The less talking the better. You may want to play soft classical type music or give her a comfy stuffed animal or blanket that she is allowed to cuddle when she goes to sleep. This entire process will be one of trial and error. It will be very easy to give in and have your daughter just sleep in your bed so you will need to make a conscious decision not to rush to your daughter every time she wakes up. Your are trying to condition her that she is fine and can fall back to sleep on her own.