proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I have a 12 year old son who is very angry, very disrepectful,

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old son who is very angry, very disrepectful, and very inappropriate and hard to be around - we are struggling with his behavior and ability to have him ever just be nice, not picth a fit when we ask him to do something, or just engage nicley with our family. One issue is that he is a top performing athlete, and his bad behavior even crosses into his playing field where he is just mierable to watch, has ourtbursts, temper issues and he is just overall not a pleasant person to be around. He has begun lying, treating his brothers hurtfully, never has anything positive or nice to say, back-talks, curses, and basically is so disrepectful to anyone around him. PLEASE help as we love him dearly and just can't see how he can be so miserable with life!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are experiencing with your son. He is at the age where he is experiencing a roller coaster of emotions. However in your son's case, his emotions are extreme. Hopefully, he is not into drugs or alcohol. Make sure you know who he hangs out with.

The route that might suit your family best now is to seek family counseling as well as individual counseling for your son. You cannot continue to live with your son and his tyraids. It is not healthy for anybody. He is destroying himself. He seems to have a lot to offer being a star athlete and all. As his parent, you are definitely on the right track in noticing that there is a problem that you are not in denial about and you want some direction.

Continue with your methods of punishment for his behavior but do praise him when he behaves to your satisfaction. Try the counseling route. You can seek a referral from your son's pediatrician.

Thank you!!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
We were hoping the expert would give us some strategies we could try at home, as anyone can tell me that we need to see a professional - THAT we already know. We are very dissapointed in the quality of the answer and request a refund as no practical answer was given.